Birthday ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, September 3, 2007

I like food!

Since Norelle hit 6 months, I have started semi-solid with her. I have exclusively breastfed her for the first 6 months of her life and on the day she turned 6 months, I couldn't be happier. I'm not saying that I dislike breastfeeding her (I do support breastfeeding - so mummies who are reading this, do continue with the good work!) I was eager to let Norelle trying out her first food besides milk. I have read up a lot on weaning and already printed out quite a fair of baby food recipes so, I just cant wait!!

Ok, I started Norelle with Heinz's baby rice cereal mixed with little breastmilk. I was all prepared with the feeding essential and prepared the cereal. Then, I put Norelle in the Bumbo seat and laced the bib around her neck. I got the sippy cup ready, wipe cloth, some hot water (just in case I need to dilute the cereal) and most importantly my great enthusiasm! In my mind, I pictured Norelle would be eagerly awaiting the cereal where she will open her mouth big and wide and taking every spoonful of cereal with great sense of joy :)..Ahhh, wouldnt it be so perfect..just like on the tv???

*Snap* , then I was hit with reality! She hardly opened her mouth and when she did, I fed her the cereal and ....she gagged and *phui* out all of them! Then she squirmed her face and shut her mouth tight!! Next, she started to wiggled her way out from the Bumbo and she wailed!! I gave up after merely 5 minutes of feeding her.

But that didnt deter me from trying. Everyday my MIL (mother-in-law) and I tried and tried again feeding her the cereal and she did took a teeny weeny bit of it. Well, that's an achievement. And this lasted for almost a month. Into her 2nd week of semi-solid, I started making some purees for her. I made pear puree for start. Well, that seemed to do the trick. She was eating a bit more with the pear puree. And now in her 7 months (one month since she started solid) she is taking it well, in fact very well.

Now she is looking forward to take her solid and I have since introduced quite a fair of variety of food to her. She has tried (so far) pear, carrot, sweet potato, potato, pumpkin, spinach, broccoli, apple, and chicken. I made all the purees before hand and I freeze them in air-tight containers. It's actually fun doing all the purees and seeing the food turning into mushy state :)
So what's next on her menu??? I'm thinking of zucchini and something with cheeseeeeeee...

Busy munching away - she loves spinach

No comments: